Sunday, September 2, 2012

Basic Biscuits

I figured I would start with something simple. Six ingredients... whisk the dry together, work in the butter, incorporate the milk, roll out dough, cut out biscuits and bake.
I need to work on my "cutting in the butter" skills. I almost bought a pastry blender today but I didn't like the one at the store. I might need to invest in one.
The biscuits seemed OK when I put them on the baking sheet (with my new silpats on them... they make me feel fancy) but they didn't rise enough. Her recipe said they should be puffy. I would say mine rose slightly... more like a 3 month preggo belly instead of a 7 month one.
The outside had a nice crust and the biscuits that had some rise did seem flaky inside.
I made notes in my cookbook and I'm already excited to try the next recipe. I will repeat these soon and see if I can get them right but I wouldn't consider them a failure... more like a work in decent progress.





3 comments:

  1. I have the best pastry blender for you and it is absoultely free - I use my fingers. Work quickly so the heat of your hands doesn't melt the butter but it gives you the best (pardon the pun) feel for when the butter is cut in just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I was doing but something wasn't right. I don't think I know what it's supposed to look like when it's cut in just right so I'll just have to keep practicing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Blog Bonnie you'll find every recipe takes 2-3 tries before you get it right

      Delete