Monday, September 3, 2012

Maple-Cornmeal Drop Biscuits

These are a variation of the basic biscuit but instead of 2c of flour you add 1c flour and 1c stone ground yellow cornmeal and some maple syrup. I worked at cutting the butter in... I think I did a much better job this time. I also used a spatula to incorporate the ingredients after the fork mixing which seemed to help finish it off better than last time.
They came out nice and crunchy on the outside and the cornmeal gave it a nice texture inside. There was a slight maple flavor but I'm not sure it made a very big impact.



3 comments:

  1. So what is "cutting in the butter"? Just curious. I think its awesome that you are doing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You drop cold pieces of butter into a flour mixture and break up the butter with your fingers. You are trying to mix them together but leave small butter pebbles so the biscuits are flaky and have bits of melted butter inside.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! You learn something new every day! ;)

    ReplyDelete